Spiced banana and coconut loaf
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 125 ml coconut or rapeseed oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 overripe bananas (about 200 g flesh)
- 3 tbsp light coconut milk (plus 1 tbsp if using shredded coconut)
- 100 ml clear honey
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 225g finely ground plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut (optional)
- 900g loaf tin
- Heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/ gas 3½. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Using a fork or electric mixer, mash the bananas well.
- Put the coconut milk, oil, honey, eggs and vanilla extract into a large bowl, then whisk together until combined. Stir in the mashed banana.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, five-spice, cinnamon and coconut (if using) with a fork. Sift these dry ingredients onto the banana mixture, then fold in using a metal spoon until just combined. Pour into the prepared loaf tin, then bake for 50-55 minutes until well browned and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack. Leave for at least 15 minutes more or until cool before slicing.
- Recipe Type : Afternoon Teas
The Chef House
Read more about this chef..